online breath analysis,
Standardized Exhalation conditions
Lung dynamics, and its impact on the emission of different species, is extremely complex, and not known in detail. It is a common consensus among the scientific breath research community, that standardizing the exhalation conditions is an essential step to eliminate an known source of potential confounding factors.
what is exhalion?
- EXHALION collects the flow exhaled by the person trough a disposable mouth-piece, and passes a fixed flow of breath to the SUPER SESI.
- For hygiene, EXHALION is autoclave-able, and made of inert materials.
- For a safe operation, EXHALION is fully passive. It does not incorporate any part with electric power of active heating.
In order to provide a steady flow of breath for 30 seconds, the flow exhaled by a patient must be in the range of 2 to 3 lpm. But the flow of breath required for SUPER SESI is in the range of 0.5 lpm. At this flow rate, just exhaling the tidal volume would take as much as 1 minute.
To solve this problem, EXHALION Decouples the flow exhaled and the flow passed to the SUPER SESI, and regulates the two.
- To fix the exhalation conditions, EXHALION integrates a flow restriction and a pressure meter. The pressure is measured, and a visual clue is provided so that the person exhaling can regulate and fix the pressure of the exhalation.
- To fix the flow introduced in SUPER SESI, EXHALION incorporates a self regulating valve that exhausts the excess breath so that only a fixed flow of breath is passed to the SUPER SESI.
The inlet of SUPER SESI is very hot, while the mouth-piece stais at room temperature. This creates a temperature gradient inside EXHALION.
As a result, EXHALION can be prone to contamination. For this reason, EXHALION is designed to reduce contamination.
- It can be easily disassembled, immersed in solvents, and cleaned.
- EXHALION incorporates a secondary exhaust to pass a continuous flow of gas comming from SUPER SESI. When not analyzing, EXHALION and SUPER SESI are constantly self cleaning with clean gas.
The hygiene of the volunteers that provide their breath is extremely important. EXHALION is autoclave-able, and it is entirelly made of passive components.
EXHALION standardizes online breath analysis with SUPER SESI.
The field of breath analysis research is very extensive, with several groups working on it. Some areas of interest include:
- Bio-marker research in Pulmonology & Gastroenterology.
- Breath comes from the respiratory system, and it is in contact with the oral cavity. It is rich in of lung and gastric metabolites.
- Some lung problems which could greatly benefit from a breath diagnosis protocol: Pneumonia, TB, COPD, Asthma, Lung Cancer, etcetera
- Bio-markers research of VOCs in blood. The lung exchanges chemical species between blood and breath very efficiently, thus providing access the bloodstream, and the entire body.
- Human metabolomics.
- Pharmaco-kinetics. Breath is a non invasive. SUPER SESI allows for the analysis of multiple exhalations without causing any discomfort to the subject. This greatly facilitates the pharmacologic profiling.