bring life-science instrumentation outside the lab,
where life actually happens
turn any room in a usable lab and
gain control of your available space
(Ruggedized Analytical Support Platform)
RASP was specifically designed for the Institute for Omics Research and Applied Biotechnology (ICOBA) in Peru. Peru is home to a range of very diverse ecosystems: the Western Amazon, the Andes, the Atacama desert, the coastal desert, just to mention a few; and to an impressive bio-diversity.
To operate ambient MS solutions in the variety of environments of the country, RASP was designed to enable scientists to easily move and install their laboratory in different sites, which do not necessarily meet the instrument's installation requirements.
What is RASP?
- RASP is designed to house and support a Mass Spectrometer and other analytical instruments so that they can be operated inside buildings that do not meet the installation requirements
- RASP is powered by a mains supply, and provides all installation requirements of the housed instruments, including high quality uninterrupted power, gas supply, temperature control, air quality control, etcetera
- It comprises a power module and a cabin
- The power module incorporates the subsystems needed to provide installation requirements of high precision analytical instrumentation in the cabin
- The cabin provides provides the controlled space to house and to operate the instruments under the right ambient conditions
- RASP can be moved. This facilitates moving the entire lab from one site to another.
RASP is fully customizable
Each set of instruments and each mission is different. Let us know what your technical challenge is,
and we will propose an specific solution for you.
Power & gas supply
RASP-1 provides full support to an Orbitrap (QE-HF), a GC, a nanoLC, an auto-sampler, and several ion sources, including a SUPER SESI. RASP-1 is engineered to support all these instruments.
- Up to 8kV Uninterrupted Power Supply
- 18 regular power sockets & 2 16A sockets
- 2 Ethernet connections
- Up to 30 lpm of high purity Nitrogen
- High quality compressed air with dew point -40ºC
- Up to 4 different gasses
- High purity filtration for up to 4 different gasses
- Housing space for 4 gas cylinders
Protections & redundancy
Keeping the instruments safe. Several temperature sensors are distributed in the most sensitive parts. If a dangerous situation is detected, RASP will automatically stop the power. Before that, an independent alarm system is going to warn the user.
- Overheating shut-down protections
- Emergency shut-down protection
- Overload and differential current protections
RASP is engineered to continue working even under failure conditions. No need to worry if somethings breaks in a remote site. The key components are redundant.
The power module and the cabin are pressurized to keep any dust particle away from delicate instruments and machinery. The air is HEPA filtered and the temperature in the cabin is continuously controlled and monitored.
- Three stages of air filtration to provide high air quality air even in very dusty environments
- Air conditioner and dehumidifier can evacuate up to 7kW of heat
- Continuous temperature and humidity monitoring and logging
- Built in illumination
- Internal noise insulation
The cabin can be accessed through all three sides to ease maintenance and operation of housed instruments. If required, the transparent panels can be removed.
RASP & breath analysis
Analytical chemistry laboratories can be cluttered with fragile materials and machines that are not always safe for the inexperienced visitor.
RASP protects the patients and the instruments by keeping everything in an enclosed space. Only the mouthpiece is accessible to receive direct exhalations.
- Patients and volunteers are not exposed to any risk posed by the instruments or other machines
- The instruments are not exposed to the visitors either!
lean lab. space management.
RASP increases the value of your available space. Growth is often limited by the available laboratory space, which is real-state expensive, and scarce.
- RASP allows you to turn any room with sufficient electric power and ventilation into usable space with great added value*.
- RASP gives you the flexibility to accommodate your different spaces for the ever changing needs. Just move it to another room, and the new room is the new lab.
(*This may depend on local legislation. We recommend to check with your local authorities).
RASP-2: high altitude mass spectrometry
High voltage systems often fail at high altitude because, due to the reduced density and humidity of the air, its insulation properties quickly decay. This causes internal arcing that damages the electronics.
RASP-2 is specifically designed to safely operate an ICP-MS at high altitude. The cabin is pressurized, and incorporates a humidity control to ensure that the instrument operates in an ambient below the required ISA altitude.
- RASP-2 is specifically designed to house an ICP-MS
- The sample is passed to the pressurized cabin through a peristaltic pump so that samples can be normally handled in an open environment
- Gasses are evacuated through a restriction and an automatic control to provide the adequate pressure drop regardless of the altitude
- RASP-2 incorporates several tight hatches to provide access for maintenance
- In case of overheating or pressure loss, the protection system first warns the operator and, if a second threshold is passed, stops the instruments.